Today, where I live, it is Mother’s Day*. I could not not make a relationship** between this day and World Creativity and Innovation Day, wondering, what can be learned and applied from Mother’s Day that would help in WCID celebrations.
Mothers perform an ulitimate creative act – they bring new life into the world. We use Mother’s Day to celebrate and recognize the work Mothers perform everyday of the year.
On Mother’s Day, in Canada, stereotypically:
- Mother is taken for a meal, or a meal is prepared for her.
- She receives gifts, such as flowers, chocolates
- The family gathers
- Affection is shared
- Mothers, as well as being honoured, honour their mothers
- Those who are not mothers contribute to the celebrations
- Mothers have an expectation of particular attention, kindness.
What if the same reverance was given to creativity and innovation during World Creativity and Innovation Day, and Week?
- Our ability to create – generate new ideas, make new decisions, take new actions and achieve new outcomes – is given an opportunity to rest, relax and feel pampered.
- People exchange gifts to enhance creativity and innovation.
- Groups of people, teams, families, communities, alumni, gather to share news of adventures, both successful and not, of using creativity in problem-solving.
- People, organizations, and associations share congratulations, affirmations, and support.
- Those who are creative and innovative every day honour others who are also creative and innovative.
- People who believe they are not creative, participate in celebrations, help to create them.
- We each expect kindness, individual attention.
For example, each knows and has skills so new ideas have a soft place to land; everyone is ready to receive new thinking, not necessarily as complete, instead, as beginnings for further conversations.
Your thoughts? What parallels and relationships do you make between Mother’s Day and World Creativity and Innovation Day, April 21?
*Mother’s Day is celebrated on different dates around the world (just as each person’s creativity style and expression is unique).
**Making relationships between two different topics is one of my go-to creative thinking techniques.
Happy Mothers Day to mothers and other nurturers